Why We Ride

Team IRON EAGLES is a group of friends and family dedicated to fighting Multiple Sclerosis (MS). We join forces to raise money for the NATIONAL MS SOCIETY to support the great PROGRAMS they have available to help members of the community and to support the exciting RESEARCH being done in the field. We blog about why we ride, our experiences at fundraising events, our fundraisers and training tips. We also have links to information on MS and MS research. JOIN US!

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Pandemic BikeMS

I'm not going to sugar coat it: it was a disappointing year. Our BikeMS ride was just under 7 miles and the last miles were kind of hard because we got a late start and the heat did not mix well with my MS. We didn't gather to ride with our team (part of our team even did their ride earlier in the week and didn't ride that morning). We didn't have the high energy crowd at the fairgrounds. I raised only a fraction of the money that I usually do. 

But we showed up on our favorite trail in full BikeMS gear and had a good morning. We met a woman walking on the trail whose husband had just been diagnosed with MS so we directed her to the resources of the National MS Society and offered emotional support. We flew down the path and jostled to see who would be the first rider in our two person pack. And we finished to the cheers of my niece and her family.

My great-nephew, 16 months old, crossed the imaginary finish line with his balance bike dwarfed by our road bikes and a sufficiently awe-filled "Wow!" We were met by my youngest daughter and my dad with a cooler full of popsicles that we ate in the shade of a small tree. So I guess we did sugar coat it after all!

As far as 2020 disappointments go, this was more bright spot than sadness, but I do hope to ride into Idaho next summer. If we don't, though, I think I'll follow my sister's example and ride all week long! I love her great attitude and am very inspired by her post (see below)!

The Littlest Rider joins the road bikes.

COVID hair and virtual bibs

On the trail: Spanish Fork River Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment